Chunky Tomato Soup
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 6 tablespoons Benecol® Original Spread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced Italian style tomatoes, drained
- 3 1/4 cups low-fat low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- Heat Benecol® and olive oil in a heavy flameproof 5-quart pot or Dutch Oven with lid. Add onions and cook until golden and translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, parsley, and dried oregano and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and stock, mix well. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in chopped spinach. Ladle soup into 6 serving bowls. Pair with Arugula Salad or Whole Wheat Crackers!